Monday, May 19, 2008

Housekeeping

I have been very busy doing some housekeeping recently. Not only have I done some Spring cleaning, restocked the freezer with home-cooked yummy meals and cleared out our closets.

I have also been doing some other housekeeping, clearing mind clutter and getting rid of stuff in my life that has been holding me back. I have deleted websites from my 'favourites' list that I have been visiting daily out of habit and not because they were particularly useful, interesting or worthy.

The same goes for people, don't get me wrong I'm not about to 'delete' anyone! but I have decided to spend more time pursuing friendships that give me something and less time worrying about those people who suck the very life force from me. You know the type - they are only happy if you are talking about them and really don't give a stuff about you, your life, your family and your dreams.

We are going on holiday soon, you know how it is when you are on holiday - you say to each other "we should always live like this, simplify our lives, stop watching telly and take time to smell the roses and enjoy the wine". Then you come home from holiday, live like that for a week or two and then slowly drift back to old habits, but I really feel ready for some changes in my life. I want to breathe, take time, enjoy my home, family and friends more and concern my life less with irrelevancies.

I am trying to live a simple and slow life. Those four words capture the things I value. To be present in my life. To be driven by the things that I find truly important. To do things I find pleasure in and be with people who make me laugh and smile. To have the strength to follow my heart. To work hard and to be humbled by little things. To feel valuable in what I do. To really treasure each moment in life.

Clearing the cobwebs is good for the soul, and now I feel happier, lighter and ready for some fun.

No comments: