Monday, March 03, 2008

It's all about ME!!!!!

By it's very nature blogging is very self centred - but today I really have been thinking about ME.

Two things happened today that made me think about myself.

Firstly I bumped into an old friend, I worked with her more than 10 years ago (we also did a far bit of partying). It was a real surprise to see her locally as the last time I saw her was in Slough. I worked with her for a relatively short amount of time (about 2 years) but during that time we knew so much about each other - we shared our lives, we worked hard together and we played hard together and we shared stuff. You know, we talked about our families, our feelings, our relationships.

Later I was talking to another friend who I have known for about 4 years and talking to her I realised that we share very little. Yes we are friends, yes we talk, but during our conversation I became aware that she knew nothing about me really. Nothing about my deepest feelings, nothing about my past. She made a comment about her being defined by her career and that she wasn't really a homebody like me. At this point I realised that I have never spoken AT ALL about my previous professional life to any of my recently made friends.

Why is this? Why is it that I used to share so much of myself with my friends (and still do with those same people) but my recently made friends know nothing much about what makes me tick?

What is it that holds me back? Or is it that my newer relationships are based on something different and I don't feel the need to open my heart.

If you think you are one of the people mentioned above - and you are now worried that we have shared too much or too little - don't worry that's not what this post is about. I have no desire to start bleating on about past achievements. What intrigues me is why I am so different now. Why is it that all that people now know of me is my children. Is that who I am now? Have I stopped sharing of myself because all I am is my children - I don't think so, I am sure I am still the same person I was - with just as much to give to a friendship.

I need to look deep inside myself and maybe I need to tweak a few things.

Blimey, It really is all about meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

No comments: