Saturday, March 08, 2008

I'm having a think

I am reading a lovely book called Tuesday with Morrie. It is the kind of book that makes you want to change things in your life and see what is important a little more clearly.

This quote from the book kind of sums stuff up ....

"So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half asleep, even when they are busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning."

This is so true and also so sad that there are so many lonely people living in our community, people who think they are living a great life but in actual fact are pretty empty. Money seems to be king for so many people and I wonder where they would be if the house, the car and the salary disappeared overnight.

If they don't have anything else, anything bigger, anything deeper to give them faith, love and hope then really they have nothing.

Recently, I have been bleating on about how tired I am and how hard I have been finding having two children. I have now gotten over myself and have reassessed lots of things in my life.

I really am taking stock - the book I mentioned above is basically the words of wisdom of an old man who is about to die (I know it doesn't sound like a right riveting read - but believe me it's great). His advice to a young man is to take a long look at yourself and your life and if today was your last day on earth - how would you feel about that?

Would you check your emails instead of playing with your baby? Would you take that phone call from work rather than finger paint with your toddler? Would you spend time wallowing in celebrity news rather than asking your neighbour how they are today? are you doing what is right?and do you now realise what the most important thing in life is - LOVE.

No comments: