Saturday, December 09, 2006

Christmas is coming......

Starting to feel festive now. Probably helped by the fact that we couldn't find a parking space when shopping yesterday and we are knee deep in Christmas cards and tinsel.

Today we plan to get our Christmas tree, decorate it, go and see Santa (and his huskies!??) and generally immerse ourselves in sparkle and cheer.

I have always loved this time of year but it is especially special now that we have the Princess. Although there are less drunken Christmas parties (make that none) this is more than made up for my the magic seen through the Princess' eyes. It's just magical.

To change to subject slightly, this week I had my first online debate and dare I say got cyber stroppy! I regularly read and contribute to a forum which is for people who are/have experienced infertility in any of its forms. I am currently following boards which are full of people who are around the same stage of pregnancy as me following some kind of assisted conception. I couldn't beleive it when one person started a thread about festive drinking and how much she would be drinking over Christmas. Now, I normally say live and let live and if you want to give your baby a alcoholic drink, then that's your choice (it's a fact that alcohol that is consumed by you WILL be passed onto the baby you are carrying) but a debate started about units and I can't believe the ignorance out there.

Some people (admitted only a few) are using the ridiculous government guidlines of 2 units a week as the gospel and are drinking this amount regularly. What they fail to realise is that those units were based on a system devised 20 years ago and were worked on 8% alcohol in a 125ml glass - this measure and % is rarely available now - more likely 13% in a 175ml glass - this equates to 2.3 units in one glass - therefore two glasses on a night out equates to nearly 5 units.

When reading about Fetal Alcohol Syndrome it is hard to understand why anyone takes the risk. We aren't just talking about major disabilities but milder conditions such as behaviour problems and ADHD - I just can't take the risk and find it hard to understand those that find that a easy choice to make, especially those that have wanted a child and had to resort to assisted conception. I would do anything for my children and if means no champagne or mulled wine this Christmas then so be it - I know what I would prefer!!!!

Whinge over - back to the tinsel and mince pies........

No comments: