Monday, August 01, 2005

Homeschooling

Homeschooling is huge in America but not here. I wonder why? Personally, I can see loads of reasons to homeschool but many more against it. I was just browsing an article written by one American homeschooler stating 25 reasons why they do it. Obviously some reasons are a bit oddball but I love these and make for a good argument.......

* No one, and I mean no one, has the right to teach my son how to square dance

* I get to go on the field trips

* To be ready for first grade, you have to excel at kindergarten. To be ready for kindergarten, you have to go to a good preschool. To be ready for preschool, you have to go to day care. At what point do we teach a fetus to square dance?

* Learning never ends — not at 3 p.m., not after homework is done, not on weekends and not on vacation

* Waffle Stix, despite their standing on school lunch menus, are not food (must be the US version of Turkey Twizzlers!)

* Watching the light bulb go on in your child's eyes when he figures out the concept of division

I still don't totally agree with it, but you can see his point

No comments: