Monday, April 04, 2005

More Middle-Class Maternal Neurosis

This time it's milk.

All the books and Health Visitors tell you that 'breast is best' until 1 year. I'm sure it is (apart from the Iron issue, which I won't start on now) but there comes a time when you feel that you want you body back and that we both need to move on to the next step. I was no longer really enjoying breastfeeding (mainly due to Lil's huge fangs) so I was delighted when she appeared to take to formula from a cup like a professional and the only breastfeed left is the all important (to her) bedtime one.

This only lasted for a few days though and she is now refusing to drink any more than a couple of ounces a day. Babies should drink milk, right? According to the books at least 21 ounces a day or 3 breastfeeds. Going back to breasfeeding is not an option so we are just offering the cup of milk constantly in an effort to wear her down until she thinks 'ok, let's neck this down so that Mum will leave me alone to get on with important stuff like smashing my toys onto the glass coffee table'. At the moment she is not having any of it though.

I have spoken to a couple of other Mums today and they are in exactly the same situation. Why then does it still bother me?

If - when - I drop the bedtime feed, that means no more milk at all. Should I hang onto that feed in which case? Or just cram her full of cheese and yoghurt? Our latest strategy is making the bedtime feed less breastcentric: more stories, more cuddles, less udders.

Oh well, I'm sure it will all work itself out and in a years time I will have forgotton all of these current problems, in the same way that I now find it hard to remember just how tired I was last May/June and just how awful colic is.

Ho Hum.

No comments: