Friday, February 02, 2007

Moving On Up

We have entered a new era. The princess is about to start pre-school. This week she had two visits to get used to the idea, yesterday's trip she did solo. She loved it! Not once did she ask for me and when I arrived to collect her she was in the middle of everyone having a fantastic time.

All that the staff could say was 'she is very confident' and 'she was walking round introducing herself to everyone' and ' she had great fun'. I am relieved, happy and just a little sad as she moves on to bigger and better things it leaves me wondering where my baby went and longing for those days when all we did all day was cuddle.

She is so precious that I find it so hard to know that she will now experience things that so far I have kept her from.... at bathtime last night she started to tell me all about a boy at school who had been naughty to her and had pushed her in the face, it breaks my heart to think that some nasty little brat has hurt her but she coped with the situation and didn't cry, she just asked him why he was being so naughty - that's my girl!!!!

She is a precocious child in many ways and is very bossy. She despairs at other children not doing exactly as she dictates and can't understand why her friends don't play 'properly' like her. It's difficult trying to explain the merits of empathy, generosity, kindness and democracy to a two year old. I remember with clearly how sad I would be when other children lied, broke a toy, or broke the rules. If I'm honest, I haven't changed much since then and I am constantly disappointed by people. The princess is very different to me though - I am sure that her confidence (I have none) and sociable nature (I find people difficult) will carry her through many situations.

For now, I am excited for her to be starting on this new journey and adventure and although it is tinged with sadness, I know this will be the start of a big shiny new life...for us all.

No comments: