Tuesday, May 17, 2005

I Am Very Angry....

There has been much debate over the whole 'yob culture' thing recently. Undoubtedly, set off by the hoodie ban at Bluewater.

I like to think of myself as openminded, forward thinking and quite a funky chick if the truth be known. I have 'lived a bit' and seen things that I think it is fair to say the vast percentage of the population haven't. For example I have been at the wrong end of a gun during an armed robbery, I have been in many social situations where taking cocaine and other drugs is the 'norm'and I was the odd one out for not ever having tried the stuff and have been subject to almost daily threats of violence. I took all of this in my stride as it was part of my life at that time. I now live in a leafy new town, where people smile and say hello and the nearest I have been to drugs is a very strong coffee.

Why then after all this am I so disgusted by what is now deemed as acceptable. There seems to be a certain middle class person who is taking the high ground on the hoodie issue. All I can say is that they obviously live in nice surburban areas where young people are wearing hoodies as a fashion statement. Great! I wear hoodies (in a vain effort to keep young!) but these aren't the people that Bluewater are focusing on. The shop staff there probably suffer, as I did, with treats to their wellbeing and even their lives and as far as I am concerned if that upsets a few kids in the process - sorry. There is a violent and threatening air in many shops these days and unless you have been working for minimum wage and have been threatened with a HIV infected needle you can't comment.

The latest thing to upset me in this 'yob culture' is the current adverts for a new Gordon Ramsey tv programme on C4. Why is it advertised with 'f**king' both verbally and in type many times over. All I can think is that this in some way appeals to a certain viewer.

Is it scarier that this type of person actually exists or that C4 thinks that they exist?

Celebrity Love Island - nuff said

Eastenders - I despair

What messages are we sending to our young people? I am scared of what the future holds for my baby.

No comments: