Saturday, July 07, 2007

Doing What I Do Best

I love being a Mum.

I am fed up of being marginalised because of the job I do, I resent the stigma attached to simply being a Mum.

My job involves long shifts, people management, problem solving, diet and nutritional planning, money management, and so many other skills I can't list them all. I am responsible for all of the emotional, educational and physical development of two people .

If I sat pushing paper around a desk for 8 hours a day I would gain more respect.

I feel that peoples values are evolving around me.

The need for 'stuff' seem to be erasing manners, respect and civility. Things before people.

Are money and things more important than emotional stability, wellbeing and happiness?

I look around and feel I'm in some sad, grim vision of a world where we work until we die, our young are removed to sterile baby-raising facilities and our elderly are shipped off to die, out of sight.

It is madness that society penalises families for being just that. Families.

Many women fall into the trap of feeling they have to work to pay the bills. Many women (not all) are forced back to work soon after the birth of their children, torn emotionally and financially, blackmailed by the government and society into believing that staying at home to look after their children is the same as sitting on the sofa watching Jeremy Kyle. Being a Mother is an important job and when done properly is one of the most important roles there are. We are raising the next generation.

I was asked yesterday if I might have more children. My instant response was 'NO' as the thoughts of getting my body back, getting my life back into order and how would we afford more children came into my head. See I too fall into the modern trap.

It's not about me, it's not about big houses and holidays in Tuscany. Although all that is very nice. What is most important to me and my family is happiness. Our home is fun, it is filled with laughter and we (I believe) have amazing, clever, beautiful, kind children. So what I'm basically saying is....Mmmmm.... I have found my vocation in life and should we really stop here just because we and our peer group buy into a more material and usually less happy way of living than previous generations.

I am not saying that all Mums should stay at home - far from it, but those that want to and those that want to make a difference in society should make a stand and not feel that pressure to be something that the Government have programmed us all to believe is right.

This probably makes no sense at all as I haven't read back what I have just thrown down onto the keyboard but it helps my brain think things out.....

No comments: